Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Project 1: 10 Dingbats - Images of Reference

Tree's and Things


     I can't seem to get away from the idea of tree's.  I tend to always have them involved in different medians I create in.  Naturally coming up with a tree theme for this project, was no different.  I wanted to try and draw some basic tree's off the top of my head.  Below are my first attempts for my dingbats.  

     I'm a bit intimidated by having to draw on the computer.  However, I really want to learn the techniques in each program of the Adobe Suite, it's just going to take me a while.  I'm also new to Flash.  I found that in using any of software programs, there's a process.  Flash has proven to be the most challenging so far.  Using the stylist is more difficult than using regular paper/pen on paper drawing.  When drawing on paper, there's a lot more resistance to the force of the pen or pencil, which allows more relaxation of the hand.  Gravity makes this feel more natural for controlling, because the hand can rest the weight.  In comparison, drawing with a computer pad has hardly any resistance.  It's more delicate to the touch, and sensitive to the hands movement.  My hand wants to do the same when drawing on the computer, but the weight of my hand isn't as necessary.  It's almost like I have to relearn how to control the strength in my hand, and acquire finer motor skills for working with  such easy flowing fluency.  I'm hoping my comfort level will increase, as I practice and learn to use the tools.

     I'm not sure were I want to take these drawings, as far as a storyline.  Right now I just like tree's, and I'm exploring what to do with them and how to make them more interesting.  Perhaps I'll add more color, and find more reference images of the tree types, and or add images of things that relate to tree's somehow.  I was inspired by the short video of Milton Glaser.  He's extraordinary!  I liked what he said; "Accuracy is the least part about drawing, but you have to learn accuracy first."  That's interesting and inspiring.  Learning how to draw more freely is something I need to learn to do better.  To hear that he drew that Shakespeare character over sixty-times, explains the skills that establish in dedication, repetition, and time.  It sounds fun!  Let's see what happens. (:    

      




















No comments:

Post a Comment