Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Project 3: Animated Characters

     Pretty much all experiences are interactive.  We move through life using all our senses each and every day.  Experiences that stand out in my memory, are often the one's I've really enjoyed.


     I remember the summer of 1997.  I was camping on the backside of Catalina Island.  A time I'll always remember.  The day was full of hiking, kayaking and relaxing.  Then a camp fire at night, to waking-up to watch the most amazing colorful sunrise.  I had never seen oranges reflect off the water that way.  The ocean smelled like tangerines.  The sounds of the water washing up on the coast, along with the sound of my kayak paddle grabbing on to the water.  It was tranquil, and so excitingly significant to the entire collective moment.  All of my senses seemed together at once to stimulate, and create a memory that would go into my mind long term, for me later to always be able to retrieve, or when by chance a similar experiences causes me to remember.  Sometimes I'll remember those moments out on the water that morning, I can almost smell it, and see the bright orange sun rays like I was there.


     Fear can cause a memory to last.  I was snorkeling in the Caribbean.  A place called Sharks Cove.  I came across a sea turtle.  I was startled at first, because he swam past me so fast.  After I realized it was a turtle, I tried to follow him.  He was beautiful.  All his different patterned greens and browns so radiant against the blue water back drop.  It was exciting!  I was completely caught up in the moment, until all of a suddent I remembered that sharks like to eat turtles, and here I was in Sharks Cove.  I also realized at that instince that I had swam quite a bit deeper out from land.  Fear took over.  I was so afraid at that very moment.  I mean, I didn't even see any sharks, but just the idea of coming face to face with one was enough to be afraid of.  I went from pure pleasure to sheer fear, all in a matter of minutes.  I'll always remember that day snorkeling. Let's just say, I slept well that night.  I'll not forget the feeling of being perfectly safe, in my soft and quiet bed.


     One of my most significant experiences, is having my son.  The whole process was interesting, and life changing from the start.  From the very first feeling of movement in my belly, to hearing him cry for the first time.  To have to share my body with another living being was a little funky to say the least.  At times it was weird, and even hard to endure.  Other times it was emotional and beautiful.  I'd have to say, that was not only the most significant interactive experiences I've had, but the longest I've had too.


     All of these experiences have made me different.  I can adapt better to life by having such stimulating experiences.  They've changed my perspective.  The new experiences have shaped me.  More depth has been added to my views of the world and myself, for having these interactive experiences.  Without them, I wouldn't be as equip or creative.  I can think of things, and approach and apply them to life.


     
















No comments:

Post a Comment